Tuesday, May 26, 2009

WHAT IF I DID HOME-SCHOOLING


Home-schooling is a growing trend nowadays. Maybe it wouldn’t be a trend. Maybe it would be here to stay. In home-schooling, the parent acts as the teacher with a set of books and curriculum on hand.

What if I were home-schooled? If I were home-schooled, I think I would have a better relationship with my mother. I would have more quality time with her. She would have had greater influence over me and would have had a greater sense of achievement knowing that she taught me directly.

If I were home-schooled, we would have saved more money because the tuition is cheaper. There would be no uniforms, school fees, school bus fees as well as my school lunch.

If I were home-schooled, I wouldn’t have met my friends whom I have shared a lot of good as well as bad memories. I wouldn’t have received awards and citations for my achievements. I wouldn’t have become a class officer in my class and a cadet officer of my batch. I wouldn’t have encountered my teachers who have inspired me to become a good teacher. I wouldn’t have experienced the highlights of high school life like the prom, sports events, graduation, bulletin board contests, choral competitions, etc.

So is home-schooling for you? Not everyone is for home-schooling. Yes, home-schooling has great benefits. If the mother is a fulltime housewife, this would be an ideal set-up. But for a working mom with multiple kids, it would mean lesser time for herself. If you’re a home-school mom, I would like to hear your experience.


For Further Reading,
Education

0 comments:

 

Woman Behind A Teacher's Odyssey

My name is Miracel Juanta and I write ATeachersOdyssey to help students and teachers create better English. I have been in the teaching profession for more than 10 years. My field of expertise includes ESL,IELTS,TOEFL,Business English etc. If you have questions about English, feel free to email me at msjuanta@yahoo.com or add my twitter @msjuanta.