Wednesday, May 27, 2009

LETTER FROM A READER - ENGLISH FOR MEDICINE


I've got mail! A reader asks a question about English for Medicine. Here's how she writes:

Dear Miracel,

My name is Lucia, I'm 21 and I am Argentinian. I've just seen your blog and I think it is very interesting.
I've studied English for about 6 years, and took FCE 2 years ago. I haven't continued with my studies for matters of time. I am studying Medicine and my idea is to go to the UK in a few years to take a course or practice there.

For what I've read, IELTS is the exam I would need to take in order to do any of the things I mentioned before. However, what concerns me the most is learning Medicine in English. I have some practice, as I always read articles and books in English, but I would like to know more, especially the vocabulary and usage of it related to specific topics such as temperature measurement, sizes, etc (we use different systems).


I would like to know if there's any web site or book you could recommend me or anything you could tell me. I would appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Lucia


******

Dear Lucia,

First of all, I would like to thank you for visiting my blog. Regarding your concern, the study of English is expanding and it has become more student-specific. A growing area of English is the English for Specific Purposes which includes Tourism English, Medicine English, Business English, etc.

Here are some of the websites that you can use to improve your English.
1. Hospitalenglish.com

2. Internet for Medical Students

3. English Online France

4. Englishmed.com

5. Usingenglish.com


I wish you good luck in your IELTS. Take care!

Best regards,

Miracel




For Further Reading,
English

1 comments:

 

Woman Behind A Teacher's Odyssey

My name is Miracel Juanta and I write ATeachersOdyssey to help students and teachers create better English. I have been in the teaching profession for more than 10 years. My field of expertise includes ESL,IELTS,TOEFL,Business English etc. If you have questions about English, feel free to email me at msjuanta@yahoo.com or add my twitter @msjuanta.